Usagi Sailor Moon - Pen Handwriting

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pre-Departure Musings



I just got back from the dentist. Today, I finished the process of getting my first crown! This year has been so busy for my dental work. Earlier this year, a cavity turned into an severely abscessed (and PAINFUL) tooth which led to my first root canal which led to my first crown. I also got all 4 of my wisdom teeth extracted this year ⁀(⊙﹏☉)⁀ But it all ended today and I'm finally caught up so yay. I'm also caught up with immunizations since I got my tetanus shot (which I have a still have a knot on my arm from, ouch). I've also obtained my International Driving Permit from AAA, just in case I decide to drive in Japan. I've printed out the forms to prepare a will and grant Power of Attorney to my dad but my IRS form 6166 hasn't come yet which is bugging me. I reeeally hope it gets here before I leave! Only 9 more days... It's so crazy how everything is coming together.



As of now, I have collected everything that I plan on taking with me to Japan in one general area of my house. It's like a mini explosion of business clothes and Memphis/America memorabilia lol ╮(╯▽╰)╭ But I'm so lucky that my mom has supplied me with an all new wardrobe just for this job!! Having that all together made it easy to pack, but that's about all that has actually made it into my suitcases so far. I have yet to figure out how I'll squeeze my toiletries, electronics, and huge supply of omiyage into 2 suitcases and a carry-on... Not to mention English picture books, shoes, and winter clothes. I'll probably need to send a third suitcase ahead of me through USPS (~ ω ~ ;) I need to get on that soon!



Packing, running errands, organizing, cleaning, making lists, doing laundry, making calls, doing research - it's a nice distraction from the idea that I'm about to be gone for at least a year. Just... wow. It's like today, I was standing in front of the bathroom mirror and it hit me: the lip balm in my bedside dresser that I use every night will sit there, unused, for the next year. Minuscule example I know, but basically I truly realized that everything will still exist here while I'm gone. My room will be collecting dust until I return to find it untouched after so many months. It made me think of everything I'll be leaving behind... and everyone. All of my family and friends in Tennessee will continue to grow and change without me in this next year. Honestly, I still can't quite grasp it. I keep wanting to write about how much I'll miss everyone but it's like I don't have the words... My head just won't wrap around the idea. In a way, I kind of hope that it never really hits me and that my transition into communicating with everyone from overseas just falls into place naturally without having to go through any particularly rough, shocking parts.



Last night, my little sister and I finished the last season of Sailor Moon, Sailor Stars. SUCH AN AMAZING SHOW. All I can say is that I simply love Sailor Moon. I could gush forever about the writing, the message, the art... It makes me happy. Finishing it was a kind of crazy feeling after like 200 episodes. I love the feeling of ending a long, heartwarming anime like that ♡ And I'm glad that Dylan and I watched every single one together. Those are some good memories and I'll always think of her when I see anything Sailor Moon! It's like a double-edged sword though because the ending of that show also forced me to think about the new beginning that's about to arrive. I just need to remember that "all life in this galaxy has a shining star within itself," because that's the kind of quote that gives me a good dose of hope and optimism in the world!



My thoughts have taken on the tendency to drift off into space lately about all kinds of things... and they get weirder everyday. I'll become consumed with the way the Tennessee clouds look, the way lush green trees pop against the clear blue sky, sunflowers lining gravel roads, "deer crossing" road signs. My mind races with theories and conclusions about being raised in American suburbs, going to American schools, the structure of the English language... they're not things I really thought about in relation to anything else until now. And I feel like my brain is choking on all these huge ideas. Like today, I drove to my dentist appointment in a sun shower (you know, when it rains while the sun is shining!) and when I got there, The Cranberries were playing in the lobby. I just chuckled to myself and shook my head. It's hard to describe--I was so in that moment, but it also felt like I was in the Twilight Zone at the same time? I keep having these waves of overwhelming, sobering epiphanies that it's just going to be so different... so soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment